Skip to main content

WOLFRAM / Different Kind of Equals

I've explored Wolfram Language (cloud) in a heuristic fashion for about a week now. Although still in infancy mode, and I was only doing trivial commands, things get interesting and fun really quickly.

If you are also interested to look into Wolfram, then "An Elementary Introduction to the Wolfram Language" book by Stephen Wolfram and Wolfram Programming Lab EXPLORE should give you some stuffs to try and think about.

You will get used to seeing single liner syntax like below:

Commands[ Commands [ {List of Entity}, Argument, Argument] ] 

The powerful thing about Wolfram Language is that of the DATA KNOWLEDGE and the way it displays INFORMATION and CAN present it back to user in visual, audio, and interactive rich almost instantly.

SEE ALSO: Mathematica Language => this Mathematica also uses Wolfram Language (or more correctly, Wolfram Language is originated from Mathematica. And if you like to do calculations and algorithm, I think Mathematica is great.

Wolfram knows a lot, and so you can query pretty much everything of ENTITY (that Wolfram knows), and then it will give you back data information that you can further process.

WARNING!
One thing that I must warn you about Wolfram, compared to other programming language, is that Wolfram Language is very HIGH LEVEL programming language, and it even takes natural human language query. You will find that everything feels easy. However, easy can be double sided sword. Python is probably the next language you should learn after Wolfram, if you want to take programming to the next level.

In Wolfram Language, like other languages, you will still be dealing with:

  • Data, Properties and Value
  • Expressions
  • Iterations => Table
  • Numbers and Strings
  • List, Array
  • Variables
  • Functions
  • Arithmetic
  • Graphics, Sound, Images
Stephen Wolfram in his video tutorials mentioned a lot that in Wolfram Language, everything is Expressions. I think this means that everything is instant expression within expression, to give you something.


Below, I will just write about 3 special usages EQUAL SYMBOL specific to Wolfram Language.

Normally, in programming language we use EQUAL to assign or add value into a variable. Sometimes EQUAL EQUAL means comparison between value. However, things are pretty special in Wolfram.

TYPING A SINGLE "=" EQUAL (WITHOUT ANY WORDS BEFOREHAND)

Once you got that big orange equal symbol, you can type any kind of human natural language query, hit Enter and it will spit back some kind of ENTITY related to that topic.


You can then continue on and apply all kind of "information processing" (image entity in this case) using commands. For example, below I am using ColorNegate[] command, that will instantly inverse the color of the photo.


TYPING CTRL + EQUAL 

Followed by natural language query of anything, and then you may add additional "Properties" (or attributes) that is related to the previous ENTITY. Then you hit SHIFT + ENTER, in order for Wolfram to process your query.

HINTS: You can query all the PROPERTIES of ENTITY, by using EntityProperties[] command.


For me personally, CTRL + EQUAL is one of the most useful query because it almost always give you the ENTITY (or some kind of objects) that Wolfram knows. Which you can use further to extract, filter, and so on.



CTRL + EQUAL, also allows you to quickly use natural language within your code.



TYPING EQUAL+EQUAL

Followed by natural language query will give you back Wolfram Alpha interpretation. The result can be a bit slow to calculate, probably depends on your subscription. I am using the FREE access to Wolfram Language.


So far so good, a taste of Wolfram Language EQUAL Query for you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PYTHON PROCESSING / It only really begins ...

Back into Processing again, with Python! While Daniel Shiffman is continuously inspiring us with his CODING TRAIN series on YouTube, using Processing with Java and Javascript language, I decided to free my mind and trying to really do something using Processing and Python language. Installing Python language version on Processing 3 is easy enough, just first download the latest Processing and install the Python language mode via Add Mode button. Other link that might help: https://github.com/jdf/processing.py http://py.processing.org/tutorials/ BLANK MODE As soon as Processing Python Mode, opens up and running I am presented with a  blank environment. Suddenly I recalled my journey in learning programming from zero until now... With Python, outside Processing, commonly people will be introduced to Python IDE or IDLE environment. Something that looks like Console Window or Command Prompt, where we type single liners command. Python Command Line and IDE normally have t

PYTHON / OpenCV, Recreate Uncanny Manga - Anime Style

Can you tell what it is? Computer Vision. Yesterday, I spend almost whole day exploring this opencv module using Python. What I discovered was revealing. Even at the very basic level, I could produce some interesting Image and Video manipulation using all the code collected from documentation and many, many blog tutorials. If you are a total noob like me, I am still getting used to knowing that the CV in OpenCV means Computer Vision! Actuallly, I recalled that I did try to get into OpenCV few years back ago, when I knew no Python and when Python opencv module was probably still early. It was all C++ code and it was a little bit too hard for me. I read a couple of books about opencv at the library, I did not understand a single thing. That was back then. Today, for strange reason, with a bit of knowledge of Python, I can go a little further. EDGE DETECT IN OPENCV Me holding you know what. What leads me this far is my curiosity on how we can replicate Wolfram Langu

WOLFRAM / Making Text With Rainbow Color

Continuing with my Wolfram Mathematica Trial Experience... I watched and went through some more Mathematica introduction videos, read lots of Mathematica documentation and also going through the Wolfram Lab Online again a few times. There are some major learning curves and Mathematica is a lot different from normal programming language. Sometimes there is a lot of interesting "shortcuts", say like: FindFaces[] , WordCloud[] . Sometimes I got a little confused on how one can do iterations. Normally FOR LOOP concept is introduced early, but in Wolfram, because everything is EXPRESSIONS and ENTITY (like OBJECTS), sometimes it gets quite quirky. Mind you I am still in the first impression and having to look at many tutorials. Lots of NEAT EXAMPLES from documentation, but sometimes I got lost. I found Wolfram to be really awesome with LIST and generating list. It's almost too easy when it works visually. I cannot explain them with my own words yet, but there are