Skip to main content

STUDY / Swift and iOS App Development

When you are self taught in programming, and starting to make your own app, you will soon reach this part where there are so much more to learn all at the same time. Just like when you are entering a new world while playing game.

So far, my exploration and study is really only involving the trivial areas that interest me mostly: ARKit and trying to put 3D contents, animation that some day will make a real app that I could probably sell or maybe I can make apps that can be useful for many iPhone users.

I am currently using the beta version of XCode 9, the latest update is improving the app, much faster and does not crash much.

My iOS App development journey is pretty fun so far, so many new things to learn. Basically the process begins from WWDC 2017. And then I got curious and checking out the Swift Playground app and the iBooks offered by Apple on Swift. That is a good start.

Soon enough, once you jump into XCode, things started to get real.

Actually a lot of nice starting point is by opening example from Apple. For developers there are some basic examples and also templates depending on what area you are interested in.

Soon enough you will find many KITS, some I stumbled upon:

  • UIKit (all kind of UI interface related: button, label, etc)
  • SpriteKit (for 2D)
  • SceneKit (for 3D)
  • ARKit (augmenting contents which can be SpriteKit and SceneKit)
You can also apparently able to mix and match all the kits. Sometimes easy, sometimes not too easy. But each is an interesting challenge.

ANIMATING SEQUENCE SPRITE KIT

For image sequences, you can animate it as UIImage or SpriteKit node. It's interesting. You can use own Array, or premade method.


RANDOM EMOJI STRING EXTENSION

I have a thing with emoji, and finding Swift is Emoji friendly and actually very easily can implement emoji is amazing!

https://gist.github.com/iandundas/59303ab6fd443b5eec39
http://crunchybagel.com/swift-string-extensions/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33942483/swift-extension-example

Basically above, we have a couple example of Swift STRING extension, one deals really well with Emoji. You can simply create Swift file, add it into project, with the extension, it will just work if you create String type of object. Amazing.

RANDOMIZING COLOR FOR SPRITES
This can be done in many different ways in relation to UIColor object, but in case you want to do more:
https://randomcolor.llllll.li/

CUSTOM FONT FOR SK NODE

Adding your own Custom Font for the app:
https://spritekitlessons.com/how-to-add-custom-fonts-to-your-sprite-kit-game/

SIMPLE INTERACTION

Start with Button and Slider, learn about OUTLET and how you put it together with the Storyboard. Things can be scary at first, but try following good tutorials closely. There are plenty.

I guess, that is pretty much it, just some notes I put together just in case you wanted to dig deeper into iOS App development.

Even if currently everything feels sandbox like, but this soon because much more interesting once you can create experience and useful app for yourself and for others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PYTHON PROCESSING / It only really begins ...

Back into Processing again, with Python! While Daniel Shiffman is continuously inspiring us with his CODING TRAIN series on YouTube, using Processing with Java and Javascript language, I decided to free my mind and trying to really do something using Processing and Python language. Installing Python language version on Processing 3 is easy enough, just first download the latest Processing and install the Python language mode via Add Mode button. Other link that might help: https://github.com/jdf/processing.py http://py.processing.org/tutorials/ BLANK MODE As soon as Processing Python Mode, opens up and running I am presented with a  blank environment. Suddenly I recalled my journey in learning programming from zero until now... With Python, outside Processing, commonly people will be introduced to Python IDE or IDLE environment. Something that looks like Console Window or Command Prompt, where we type single liners command. Python Command Line and IDE normally have t

PYTHON / OpenCV, Recreate Uncanny Manga - Anime Style

Can you tell what it is? Computer Vision. Yesterday, I spend almost whole day exploring this opencv module using Python. What I discovered was revealing. Even at the very basic level, I could produce some interesting Image and Video manipulation using all the code collected from documentation and many, many blog tutorials. If you are a total noob like me, I am still getting used to knowing that the CV in OpenCV means Computer Vision! Actuallly, I recalled that I did try to get into OpenCV few years back ago, when I knew no Python and when Python opencv module was probably still early. It was all C++ code and it was a little bit too hard for me. I read a couple of books about opencv at the library, I did not understand a single thing. That was back then. Today, for strange reason, with a bit of knowledge of Python, I can go a little further. EDGE DETECT IN OPENCV Me holding you know what. What leads me this far is my curiosity on how we can replicate Wolfram Langu

WOLFRAM / Making Text With Rainbow Color

Continuing with my Wolfram Mathematica Trial Experience... I watched and went through some more Mathematica introduction videos, read lots of Mathematica documentation and also going through the Wolfram Lab Online again a few times. There are some major learning curves and Mathematica is a lot different from normal programming language. Sometimes there is a lot of interesting "shortcuts", say like: FindFaces[] , WordCloud[] . Sometimes I got a little confused on how one can do iterations. Normally FOR LOOP concept is introduced early, but in Wolfram, because everything is EXPRESSIONS and ENTITY (like OBJECTS), sometimes it gets quite quirky. Mind you I am still in the first impression and having to look at many tutorials. Lots of NEAT EXAMPLES from documentation, but sometimes I got lost. I found Wolfram to be really awesome with LIST and generating list. It's almost too easy when it works visually. I cannot explain them with my own words yet, but there are